Functions and Applications of Sheet Metal NotchersBlog | March 11th, 2021
There are a lot of metalworking processes that can produce high-quality metal parts and sheets. Some of these processes are cutting, welding, folding, machining, punching, shearing, casting, and stamping. Another metalworking process that is often utilised by metal fabrication companies is notching.
Notching is a type of metalworking process that is fabricated on metal sheets or bar stocks to effectively manipulate their size and shape. This specific process normally requires a punch press, which carries out the removal of material from the outer edges of the workpieces. As the unwanted materials are removed, the smaller workpieces now boast specific shapes that are required for the whole project.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Notching
What is great about notching is that it can fabricate metal sheets or bar stocks with complex shapes. As the whole process relies on the shape of the punch and die toolset, it can easily generate workpieces with unique form factor and appearance. Another great benefit of the notching process is that it can be used on a wide range of metals. Notching can yield great results to metals that are made from aluminium, stainless steel, high-carbon steel, or titanium.
But just like other metalworking processes, notching also has some drawbacks. The whole process of notching can be costly, especially to businesses that do not have the necessary tools to carry it out. Punch presses and other similar tools can be expensive. And with the expenses associated with notching, some businesses do not have any choice but to stick to other metalworking processes.
Notable Functions of Sheet Metal Notchers
Despite the disadvantages of notching, it is still preferred by many businesses due to its efficiency and versatility. And one great thing about notching is that it can be done easily with the appropriate tools. One of the tools that can be used for notching is sheet metal notchers.
Sheet metal notchers come in various configurations and functions. Some can be powered by electric or hydraulic mechanisms, while others can be operated by hand. Sheet metal notchers can likewise maximise different sizes of blades, allowing them to be effective in processing a wide range of metal types. Sheet metal notchers can feature replaceable blades and finger guards.
Aside from notching, sheet metal notchers can be utilised for more metalworking processes. Some of these processes include box forming, corner shearing, and dovetailing.
Sheet Metal Notchers Intended Applications
Given the functions of sheet metal notchers, they can effectively work in creating different products that are intended for specific applications. These notchers can be used on creating trays, boxes, brackets that may be used for construction, plumbing, and other industrial works. They can likewise be utilised in creating products that cannot be produced by other metalworking processes.
Another great application of sheet metal notchers is that they can be used in changing the form factor and design of some components like spring clips, nails, plates, and sheet metal parts.
To find out more about sheet metal notchers, you can call us at McKean’s Sheetmetal Fabricators.
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- CNC Laser Cutting Basics: Understanding How it Works
- Functions and Applications of Sheet Metal Notchers
- Stainless Sheet Metal Fabrication for the Food Service Industry
- A Quick Overview About Spot Welding
- Metal Fabrication Finishing Process: What are the Advantages of Powder Coating?
- 4 Common Materials Used for Metal Fabrication Processes
- Factors to a Successful Metal Fabrication Project
- Incorporating High-Quality Handrails on Your Property
- Primary Features and Uses of GALVABOND Steel
- Important Safety Tips When Working with Metal
- Custom Fabricated Floor Plates: Functions and Applications
- Structural Steel Fabrication Using Plasma Cutting Technology
- The Benefits and Limitations of Laser Cutting
- Understanding What Plasma Cutting is All About
- Best Practices for Welding Stainless Steel
- Sheetmetal Fabrication Across Different Industries: Choose McKean’s Sheetmetal Fabricators
- How Sheet Metal Cutting / Shearing Works in Metal Fabrication
- Metal Fabrication Projects that Make Stainless Steel as the Best Material Choice
- Guillotine Cutting Services Explained
- What are the 3 Common Methods Used for Welding Stainless Steel?