Metal Fabrication Projects that Make Stainless Steel as the Best Material ChoiceBlog | July 14th, 2020
One material that is frequently used in creating products, components, and other related items is stainless steel. Numerous industries utilise this material since it is durable, strong, and appealing. Moreover, this material can readily resist corrosion, stain, scratches, and extreme temperatures due to the presence of a protective surface layer. It can also be fabricated into different products because of its malleable and flexible composition. Aside from its malleable property, stainless steel comes in a wide variety of grades, making it versatile and widespread throughout manufacturing and metal fabrication businesses.
Stainless Steel Composition
Stainless steel is an alloy of iron that contains around 10.5% chromium, 1.2% carbon, and other alloying elements such as silicon and manganese. The presence of chromium gives the stainless steel the ability to prevent corrosion of its surface. So, the more chromium stainless steel has, the more corrosion resistance it can possess.
The addition of other alloying elements like silicon, manganese, nickel, and molybdenum can further enhance the corrosion resistance of stainless steel. Some of them can also contribute to the formability enhancements of the material, which makes the stainless steel suitable for processing and fabricating different types of products.
Types of Stainless Steel
The wide variation of stainless steel stems from the process of adding or subtracting certain alloying elements to the material. To date, there are three types of stainless steel.
- Austenitic Stainless Steel:Austenitic stainless steels are the most popular types of stainless steel because of their high chromium content. Additionally, they are easy to weld and fabricate, making them more prevalent than other types of stainless steel. Aside from their stronger corrosion resistance, this type of stainless steel is strong because of nickel, manganese, and nitrogen.
- Ferritic Stainless Steel:Ferritic stainless steel has low amounts of carbon and can be processed in situations that do not require welding processes. The magnetic capabilities of this type of stainless steel make it great for marine and seat water applications.
- Martensitic Stainless Steel:Martensitic stainless steel is used in applications that need high strength products since it possesses high tensile strength and impact resistance. This type of stainless steel has moderate corrosion resistance, which is much lower compared to austenitic and ferritic stainless steel. This material is great for cutting tools, dental, and surgical equipment.
Stainless Steel Applications
Numerous metal fabrication projects can easily benefit from different types of stainless steel. Hospitals, for example, utilise tools and equipment that are made from stainless steel since it can resist corrosion. Buildings and infrastructures are also equipped with stainless steel products since they can highly tolerate the effects of heat and chemicals. They are also strong and durable enough to provide structural support for the construction.
Aside from their durability and resistance to elements, stainless steel products can also be used to enhance the style and maintain appearance. The ability of stainless steel to withstand scratches and surfaces make appliances, equipment, and components that are made from the said material last for a very long time. Any stainless steel products that will be used in high-traffic areas, outdoor environments, or enclosed spaces like restaurants, construction sites, and vehicles can still look brand new despite a long time of use and exposure to different harsh and damaging elements.
If you want to have stainless steel products for your next metal fabrication project, feel free to call us at McKean’s Sheetmetal Fabricators. Our experienced design team can work with you from the basic ideas through to the manufacture and installation of your finished stainless steel work.
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- The Cutting-Edge Technology of Laser Cutting
- The Significance of Sheet Metal Fabrication in the Food Industry
- 4 Qualities to Consider when Choosing Electrical Cabinets
- All the Advantages and Applications of Spot Welding
- Keep Your Building Safe from Elements with Colorbond Roofing
- Avoid Unforeseen Expenses on Your Production by Investing in Machine Safety Guards
- Custom Metal Fabrication Quality Control
- How Can Your Property Take Advantage of Metal Staircases and Stair Rails?
- Key Information about Plasma Cutters You Should Know
- All the Features and Applications of ZINCALUME® Steel
- Ensure the Safety of Your Property by Installing Quality Handrails
- Ensure the Safety of Your Workplace by Investing in Quality Machine Guards
- A Quick Introduction to TIG Welding and Its Applications
- 5 Key Benefits of Using Perforated Metals
- Get to Know the Working Principles of a Press Brake
- Things to Consider in Choosing a Metal Fabrication Service for Your Laser Cutting Project
- Key Advantages of Installing Metal Stairs and Stair Treads
- What is the Purpose of Galvanising Steel Products?
- Notable Benefits and Applications of Plasma Cutting Machines
- Top 4 Benefits of Adding Handrails on Your Property