Sheet Metal Notching: Things You Need to KnowBlog | March 11th, 2019
In the world of sheet metal fabrication, there are many different services that do many different things. Today, we are going to be swinging our focus toward a lesser talked about a subject known as sheet metal notching. Sheet metal notching is integral to our business but it is relatively misunderstood. Let’s add a little bit of light to sheet metal notching so that you can understand exactly what you need when you have to call a sheet metal fabricator.
Sheet Metal Notching: What Is It?
Sheet metal notching is a relatively simple process that makes up the backbone of a vast amount of our services. This metal-cutting process requires the use of sheet metal in the hands of a professional fabricator. Sheet metal notching is all about shearing or punching pieces of metal from the surrounding edges of the bulk piece of the sheet metal. There are several key characteristics of a quality sheet metal notch that you need to understand:
1) Exterior Cut – A correctly produced notch will be taken only from the outside edges of the primary workpiece. This is accomplished by shearing, cutting, or punching the metal.
2) Angled Notch – Typically, notching is performed at specific angles so as to promote the ability to work the sheet metal. The reason that the angle is so important is that you will likely later use this sheet metal as part of another process.
3) Follows Patterns – Finally, a quality notch will be made according to the exact pattern required for the next step in the process. The primary worker will need to follow the exact pattern as laid out before them in order to make the notching process successful.
Sheetmetal notching is a relatively simple process that is still absolutely integral to the industry. Typically, notches are made with care in preparation for folding or conjoining to other pieces of metal in order to further the overall project. There are several different types of notching techniques that include: tube notching, end notching, side notching, and bending. Each of these processes are considered important for specific tasks, depending on what needs to be accomplished.
Enjoy the McKean’s Difference
Here at McKean’s Sheetmetal Fabricators, we pride ourselves on offering professional services at an affordable price. We’ve been serving Melbourne and the surrounding area since 1989 and we are committed to continuing to develop our great reputation. Call us today for all of your sheet metal fabrication needs
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- CNC Laser Cutting Basics: Understanding How it Works
- Functions and Applications of Sheet Metal Notchers
- Stainless Sheet Metal Fabrication for the Food Service Industry
- A Quick Overview About Spot Welding
- Metal Fabrication Finishing Process: What are the Advantages of Powder Coating?
- 4 Common Materials Used for Metal Fabrication Processes
- Factors to a Successful Metal Fabrication Project
- Incorporating High-Quality Handrails on Your Property
- Primary Features and Uses of GALVABOND Steel
- Important Safety Tips When Working with Metal
- Custom Fabricated Floor Plates: Functions and Applications
- Structural Steel Fabrication Using Plasma Cutting Technology
- The Benefits and Limitations of Laser Cutting
- Understanding What Plasma Cutting is All About
- Best Practices for Welding Stainless Steel
- Sheetmetal Fabrication Across Different Industries: Choose McKean’s Sheetmetal Fabricators
- How Sheet Metal Cutting / Shearing Works in Metal Fabrication
- Metal Fabrication Projects that Make Stainless Steel as the Best Material Choice
- Guillotine Cutting Services Explained
- What are the 3 Common Methods Used for Welding Stainless Steel?